Skip to main content

Weaving my own way


In my first weeks of University life, I unzipped a heavy blue bag and found myself bent over a skinny cadaver with a scalpel in my hand. Smelling the formaldehyde. Over the course of the next year, we carved flesh from his buttocks, separated muscle from cartilage, and pulled and probed his ligaments. Lab sessions with the stiffs were fascinating, but I didn’t really want to be doing Medicine. I had never liked biology and was not at all interested in seeing patients with medical needs. So how did I get to be there?




Surgery days, pic Anna Sublet
It was always expected in our family that we would attend University, preferably to do medicine or law. Coming from a family of parents and grandparents who valued tertiary education, who had been lawyers, doctors, engineers and inventors, this was an unquestioned path. Of course, at the Catholic school, there was also the option of becoming a wife and mother, something seemingly so appalling to me that I rejected such a notion for decades.

Career advice at my private schools was limited to four ‘real’ options: medicine, law, science, arts...or ‘basket weaving at Rusden.’ Clearly that fifth option was an absurd joke, to highlight just how nonsensical it would be to consider anything outside the norm. ‘Basket weaving’ at a smaller university was meant to encapsulate all those pointless, dreamy notions of creativity which were so obviously to be discarded, like a ratty handmade basket. What this meant, in retrospect, was that I didn’t really look beyond the obvious. There was a script to follow, and it ended with either a stethoscope or a horsehair wig, if you happened to do well enough.

I had been a ‘good student’ right throughout most of my school life. It must have horrified my parents when I nearly failed every subject in Year 11, except for English in which I scored an A+. They hadn’t sent me to private schools to be a non-achiever, they told me.

So, I changed school in my final year, and managed to get the marks for Medicine. I remember going to the pub the night of results. ‘What marks did you get? What course will you do?’ I feel as if I shrugged. ‘Medicine, I guess.’

Having University as an expected path is a marvellous thing, but perhaps I could have woven a different tale, carved out a different track, if the options had not been quite so narrowly focussed. As it turned out, I failed medicine and left after one year to pursue studies in the arts. Gaining an Arts degree in the 80s was not exactly a clear ticket to a career. The recession had hit, and the skills I gained were rather non-specific, so my professional path since has been a meandering one.

I have been employed in marketing, as an academic researcher, and even as a careers and employment advisor. After a period out of the workforce while having children, I briefly returned to post-graduate study, honing skills in writing and communications. My current employment is casual, and my paid writing pieces sporadic. On reflection, I wonder how it would have been if I’d thought more about weaving my own way, at the time when the world of tertiary education was first open to me. Though I remain forever grateful for the chance to study philosophy, politics, english and international relations, it seems my ‘professional life’ does look somewhat like a ratty basket, poorly constructed and at times unravelling. For that, I can only answer to myself.


First published in The Age, Education Age, 15th May 2016

Comments

  1. Well, we've already had a bit of a discussion on this. For me it was arts/law, not medicine. The reasons were various. My parents had not been tertiary educated so were anxious for me to be so since I had always been a high achieving student. There was part of me that wanted to do a course with status to reflect my academic abilities. Deep down, I think I knew law probably wasn't really for me, but I allowed myself to be swept up by the expectations of others and their hopes for me rather than thinking about what really interested me and suited my personality. But then, it's hard to know who you really are, and admit to it, when you're only 17 or 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Carolyn. That side of the story, where parents had NOT had the chance at education, is a really interesting angle, probably even more so than the middle-class perspective. And yes, most kids have limited idea of goals at 17 or 18! If we funded our schools equitably, I'd expect there would be less need for pressure to achieve 'high marks' (less need to marketing/competition between schools) and possibly a greater emphasis on working to strengths, with support of great teachers and facilities. But, not so in Australia. The story continues...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st