Skip to main content

Nature Notes, Days 1-5


Day One

Head out into the air this morning on my engaging challenge. My first encounter is with possum piss, its frothy stench hitting me as I walk out our front path. I hose it away, cursing the urban wildlife. The wattle is out, the scent bringing back my dad and making me cry. 

After some lovely meandering down the canal, watching birds and holding my 'in memorium' sprig of wattle for dad, I take my tears down to the salty water of the bay. 


There I walk out on the rocks, go that bit too far, slip on invisible moss, smash various parts of my body and end up almost in the water. Thankful that I haven't busted my head open, I fling my little sprig of wattle towards the water, where it falls short and lies on the rocks like me. Ready to be picked up when the waves come in. 

I reach for my phone, make sure not to drop it, take a photo of the wattle as it waits, as I wait. I have wrenched my shoulder, and I am shaking.

Day Two

I plan to walk after yesterday's fall but instead pop outside to my tiny garden plot. Just to smell the herbs, to touch them and release their powerful scents. I have a new hybrid: basil mint! It is glorious. The self-seeding rocket continues to spread across the plot. I see the tiny thyme leaves, so perfect. Rain starts falling right in the middle of bright winter sun. 

I take a seat under the verandah where the tin roof tinkles. Now the grey comes and the cool air. Rain beats harder and the air shifts around me. I can just keep my knees dry. 

I don't have much garden out the back but a few pots can bring me such joy. I trim some oregano and Vietnamese mint to bring forth new growth. That's about all my shoulder will allow today. Then I decide to feed myself, my herbs in a bowl of noodles. Mmmm.





Day Three

Today, there’s more mouse poo under the sink. The search for nits. The smell of farts on a packed train.

I walk through a city park, notice the markings of limbs, a few dry dusty leaves still to fall. I choose to cross the grass, to feel the wet soil under my boots, bread ties and bottle tops scattered across the tanbark. I crinkle the dry brown plane tree leaf and discard it.

In the St Kilda Botanic Gardens, there are flowerbeds of colour, and the succulents-oh wow. Sequences of form and swirling reproduction. Layer upon twisting layer, they blow my mind. How cool is nature?!

Touch the gum nuts, gritty smooth. See the magpie, my sentinel bird, signalling I am almost home.

Day Four

Today I walk with my partner, down to the sea again, noticing the sound of water washing up on the rocks.

By afternoon I feel the need to get my hands dirty and work on planting and weeding my pots and little plot. Replant mint, weed between the bricks, consider the moss at the base of the olive tree and know that warmer weather is coming. 


Here I was wondering about nature and there it is: clouds drifting lightly by as the sky moves towards evening. I pluck a basil/mint leaf, pop it in with my gin, grab a rug and sit and watch the sky. 

Day Five

At the end of 5 days of engaging with nature, I've moved from tears to reclaiming a right to be, to exist.


Looking up, seeing the lines drawn across the sky, the clouds reforming, banks of light stacked across the horizon, I feel the links to a world beyond my own sphere, where the oxygen is spinning and the earth turning and waters constantly washing in onto the rocks, sucking back as the tide takes off, the whole sphere in space with us scurrying across its surface. 

To engage with nature has been to slow and nourish my mind. It's been worth the injuries and the dirty fingernails. Now, to tend some more crops, be they plants, the self or stories.

Addendum: my piece was not selected for publication. Sob. But it sure was worth the experience.



Comments

  1. Why oh why wasn't your piece selected? It's beautiful and tender and funny and original. I'm so glad that you posted it here, and I'm going to re-post it on my page. Dani x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st