Skip to main content

Running with the Magpies

I’m not much of a runner. I’m heavier these days. I start with 200 steps, counting as I run. Breathing in and out with the numbers, taking it slowly over the rocky, wet path. Stones, tree roots, furrows and puddles, 77-78-79-80. Keep going.

I pass 200, and feel lighter. I’m thinking of magpies and lifting my feet to float and I keep going and it’s 500, then 800 and I’ve made 1000 and I’m still going and I feel like I’m flying. I’m doing it for the Magpies I tell myself. At 1500 I stop for breath and to take in the view as the rain keeps falling.

'Stay on the Path' the sign says and it seems like it’s telling those Pies 'Stay true. Keep going boys'. I take off again around the cliff path and I reckon I can make it to 2000. I count myself onto the headland, and look across–there are the magpies! An adult and a youngster, just picking at the grass. Hopping. Poking their beaks into the soft soil. Burdle-durdle-dup I say.

Hip hop onto the path at Hell’s Gates and off the adult flies. Its home is over near Alexandra Headland where the waves are breaking big today. The little magpie hangs around then hops up close to a young girl and jumps from twig to twig on the pile of dry grey branches. It’s almost camouflaged in the grey colours of a youngster, not the full-fledged black and white of the mature bird.

It joins the adult in shallow scrub and I can just make them out. It’s like I’m part of their family hanging on the edge observing. I’m a distant cousin. I’m also realising I’d almost walk off a cliff to watch them. Which is what I’m doing in my attempt to get a ticket for the Grand Final!


At Hell's Gates/Alexandra Headland
(c) Anna Sublet


This time the youngster leaves. The bold black and white adult member struts towards me. The Maggie takes off, low level, and flies straight towards me and lands by my feet. Props and stops. Pokes at the stones and moves off across the path with me following. Burdle-durdle-dup.



Coming straight at me!
(c) Anna Sublet

We end up together in some kind of circle of rock and stone. Worship zone! Thoughts of my cathedral at the G. I’m calling it a ritual circle, some site of worship.

The bird stops and looks straight at me. Turns its back to me. Looks back, just like my other sentinel magpies have done in the past.

Takes off towards the ocean, wings wide and willing.

I have run longer than I have run in ages, I’ve stood in a worship circle, I’ve communed and sung. And I think, after a few desperate days of trying, I have a grand final ticket. Go Pies!!! I’m flying home from the north to watch the battle of the birds at the MCG. The things we do to watch the magpies up close, and flying.

Taking its leave
(c) Anna Sublet

A version of this piece was published in Sunday Age, 1 September, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st