Skip to main content

Just breathe

Found deep within my parenting files, a reflection on 'work' and meaning.

You’re at a formal social function and the person sitting next to you asks, as an opener, ‘So, what do you do for a job?’ Many is the time that I have drawn a deep breath, looked at them and considered, ‘Why have you asked me that question? First up, of all the things that could be said? Have you bothered to use your imagination?’ At times I have simply said nothing, allowing the yawning space to spread out across the crisp white tablecloth, taking a mouthful of my red wine, breathing slowly in and out while I wonder if I should waste one of said breaths on an answer. For it’s not that the specific question is invalid; it is quite acceptable in certain contexts (say a job interview or further into the conversation.) It’s just the unthinking, staid, narrow–ok, conservative–nature of it that undoes me.

I have tried diversion (I’m sorry, did you ask me about my favourite vinyl release from the 80s?), I have tried lies (I’m a journalist), I have feigned fainting (yes, from boredom), and sometimes I have suggested that we should swap seats. As in, move away from each other.

Whilst writing this piece, I came upon author Kasey Edward’s contribution on The Age’s opinion pages, ‘Job satisfaction is too much like hard work.’ (28 April, 2009) It concludes with the line ‘...we need to consider that (women) are voting against society’s obsession with the definition of work and career as the pinnacle of individual fulfillment.’ How apt, I thought. And there in the body of her piece: 'We seriously need to rethink what we value, particularly the central importance we've given to paid work in our lives.'
 

At the moment, my main occupation is parenting, which always make that delicious opening question that teeny bit juicier, doesn’t it?  (‘You do what? You mean you’re brain dead?’ you can see their eyes scream.) 

When I went for a job interview last week, I got weepy at the mention of my children (yeah, it made me look sensitive, mature and connected to my emotions so I’m a dead-set cert for the job). It’s just that reflecting on what is important to me, I realised the immense privilege it is to have two healthy, happy children and to spend time looking after them. This is from a girl who had visions of the scene from Alien, when considering pregnancy. I’ve come a long way baby. When my daughter asked me how the baby got into my tummy she asked ‘How did it get in there? Did it hurt when it got put there? And were you very brave?’ ‘Oh yes, I certainly was,’ I said, nodding, ‘I was very brave.’



From 'Beanshoot' series, (c) Charlie Sublet


And we are brave.

In the time since leaving paid full-time employment, I’ve had many opportunities to consider what it is a parent does, and how people are judged for their 'work'. I have had a man make a pass at me, asking ‘So, what do you do?” When I answered, ‘I’ve got a couple of little kids and I parent them, magnificently,’ (the last word with a hint of brazen, dramatic flourish) the response back was ‘No, I asked you what you DO.’ An editor at the newspaper, upon learning I had children and thus worked only one or two casual shifts a week asked ‘So, what do you do the rest of the time?’ as if the consideration of the world beyond paid work was a...void.

During last week, I helped for two hours in the classroom at school as Grade 1 kids put together their blog. (I know, a blog! They’ll be Twittering* next.) This contribution to school and learning is a very real and wonderful essence of being part of a local community. Alain de Botton, in discussing his latest book, The Pleasures and Sorrow of Work, speaks of how all of us have a very strong desire to help other people, improve the state of the world, somehow make a difference to someone's life.

In being part of the richness of the lives lived daily in our suburban streets, we ‘stay-at-home’ parents can be like canaries in mines. We witness the world of the kitchen table, we walk the streets with the homeless, we talk to the aged lady, we smile at the shy immigrant. These are the scenes of the roadsides and schoolyards, the small shops and the playgrounds. Kathy Kizilos wrote in The Age last week about the simple act of having a conversation with another human being on public transport. ‘Talking to a stranger reminds us we are not alone, and that’s worthwhile,’ she wrote.


In the city and the offices, the factories and the mining sites, the bustle of full-time employment is a buzz that can lead to separatist tinnitus–those in it are immersed in it. They may not hear the birds or the songs or the questions from their children or the cries from those suffering...the cacophony of our work culture can often override intimate, human moments. 


So when we parents decide to push back into the world of work–bear down, now-–it is a time to consider the worth of ‘work.’ It is a many-hued monster–a necessary evil to some, a life buoy to others, a prop, a camouflage, a passion, a refuge, an escape. But is it the essence of our selves? Take a deep breath before you answer.

(c) Anna Sublet 2015, originally 2009

*I love this little date stamp. Twitter was so new, I did not know to call it Tweeting.

Comments

  1. I love this!! You have a wonderful way with words. You've summed up how I feel exactly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie. I really appreciate your comment! I'm in a different phase of life these days, but the ideas here still ring true to me. I'm glad it spoke to you.

      Delete
  2. I love this one to Anna. The idea that paid work can be so many things really resonates with me, as it has probably been all of the things that you mention at different phases of my life. But I like that its purpose is fluid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Collette, I guess at the time I was exploring the difficulty of 'proving one's worth' when you are 'just a mother.' Society doesn't seem to rate the often invisible and wonderful work done on the homefront-whether by mums, dads or carers. But in the end we have to value ourselves, don't we? I think I am somewhat closer to this now. I'm glad you enjoyed the read!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Ring the Bells

By Anna Sublet 2nd May, 2013 The Victorian Education Act allows for education which is free, compulsory and secular. So how do religious instructors, promoting specific faiths, have access to children within our state schools? At a State School near you It's nearly the end of the school day at a local state primary school. But for the next half hour, the teaching of the curriculum is suspended. Children are divided into groups based on their religion. These groups are then separated from each other. The classroom door opens to allow church volunteers, some with as little as ten hours of training, to take charge of each group. The teacher is made redundant, sidelined as a spectator in her own classroom. Welcome to supposedly secular education in Victoria. Image copyright Natalie Davey, used with permission Special Religious Instruction In primary schools across Victoria, children as young as 5 are being ministered to by religious volunteers from ACCESS Ministries. AC