Skip to main content

Losing it on Lonsdale

Chart Collective are mapping Melbourne stories via landscape and memories for their I Was Here project. They plan to make posters to put up in the CBD where the stories took place. They will be anonymous snapshots of our city. Asking us to stop and reflect on place, as they give voice to hidden histories.

I wrote 300 words-it was meant to be 300 characters! Well, this is the long version. Maybe my short version will end up in Caledonian Lane, where I stopped for a pee and then made a very bad decision.


 Losing it on Lonsdale

It was one of those hot, hot nights in the city. Melbourne was burning up. Clubs and bars pumping, music thumping out into the grid. I had been drinking cans of beer at The Lounge on Swanston Street for hours. Full strength beers. This was before the days of light beers and Uber.

The boy was in a band, a sweet boy with jet-black hair. He wasn’t the lead singer, the one with loud charisma; he was the bass player, he kept his head down.

I remember switching to water at some time close to 3am, before leaving the club after 5am and walking with the shy boy through the still-warm dark streets towards...my car.

One foot in front of the other. Navigate that grid.

Straight down Swanston, turn left, then up Lonsdale Street. Stop: Caledonian Lane. This looks like a good place for a wee. Squat and pee hard onto the road. Back to Lonsdale and my trusty Citroen.

Keys: check. Passenger: check. Ignition: check. Engine: check. Flashing blue and red lights...check.

The breath test doesn’t go so well. I’ve blown it. I’m taken from the CBD in the back of a police car. My car is left on Lonsdale, though the boy bass player comes with me to the cop shop.

Every time I drive that CBD block I am reminded of that night, and the twelve months with no licence that followed it. Let’s just say I’m a bloody idiot. And I reckon the bass player thought so too. We never went out again. But I did discover light beer.

Cheers, Melbourne!

------------

275 words

Oh, damn! I thought it was 300 words. It’s 300 characters!! I wrote a short version. It wasn't as good. Did it in a micro-rush. If it finds a place on a poster, I will release it.


The map of micro-stories shows where the posters are. Don't think mine made the cut, but will have to walk by and see...

For more about Chart Collective, have a read about their aim to explore the way our human stories are woven into nature and our environment/landscape.

Comments

  1. I love this - for its honesty, and vulnerability. It is really good! And I love the idea of the I was here project and reflecting on place. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the one you did submit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah for your positive words. I love the I was Here project too, and also The Punt Road Project, which started last year. Chronicling our existence in the city is addictive! It's always such a lovely surprise to get a comment, it really makes sharing a piece even more fun. If they print the short version on a poster I will let people know! Thanks x

      Delete
  2. You can capture so much in so little words and I love the atmosphere and intrigue you've managed here - great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, it's funny when you try to grasp a fragment of existence and breathe life into it again. Memories can dissipate without the telling, can't they? Especially if, er-hum, one is under the influence... Thanks for your comments-I hadn't really thought about the intrigue, so it is good that you pointed that out. Your words will inspire me to write some more. Thanks again x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Ring the Bells

By Anna Sublet 2nd May, 2013 The Victorian Education Act allows for education which is free, compulsory and secular. So how do religious instructors, promoting specific faiths, have access to children within our state schools? At a State School near you It's nearly the end of the school day at a local state primary school. But for the next half hour, the teaching of the curriculum is suspended. Children are divided into groups based on their religion. These groups are then separated from each other. The classroom door opens to allow church volunteers, some with as little as ten hours of training, to take charge of each group. The teacher is made redundant, sidelined as a spectator in her own classroom. Welcome to supposedly secular education in Victoria. Image copyright Natalie Davey, used with permission Special Religious Instruction In primary schools across Victoria, children as young as 5 are being ministered to by religious volunteers from ACCESS Ministries. AC