Skip to main content

A morning too early, a morning too late



Sensing the future

It was our last morning in New York City. It was a morning too early to be leaving, and as it turned out, a morning too late. Dad was on his final lap of life, and we were making a dash home to cheer him along as he hit the home straight

I went down to breakfast with a heavy heart. The bar was buzzing. Halloween scenes were already playing out in the streets. A kind waiter asked me 'have you got your costume sorted for tonight?' To which I stumbled, 'no...I I I have to go home. My dad's sick...' and began to cry. The dear boy was shocked, 'Oh, I'm so sooorreeee. Do you wanna hug?' I could barely breathe. NO, I managed. I ate cereal alone, and had grapefruit juice. Dad loved grapefruit.






I packed the last of my things, and stumbled out through the lobby, past glamorous girls in fabulous costumes. Mark had already run off to explore the neighbourhood after checking out of the hotel early. It didn't seem real. People strode past in devil's outfits, kids wore capes, masks floated along the street. It was hours before the Halloween march would begin. We would be flying by then.





SNAPSHOTS-stolen on the run towards lift-off



We took a table at Katz's Deli at the corner of Ludlow Street so Mark could have a crack at $20US worth of sliced meat in a sandwich. That was a LOT of meat. I watched the scene, and picked at a pickle. 



Then we raced across the Lower East Side, trying to grasp some of the LES style in our last hours-independent fashion shops, artworks on the street, and the kerbside market where I found a stall with my original beanie maker!! Small joys, human connections, mementos. Past the ups and downs of fire escapes, past facades of different colours in a sunny sky.





And then we were gone. 

Travelling home from a long way away has a way of making time seem elastic. There is no proper day and night. We moved from chauffeured car to bus to escalators to walkways to lounges to aisles and seats. From the airport in LA, I spoke to Dad and he listened, I knew he heard me. I told him we were on our way.


Closing in...a continuous present...

We are allocated our small space. I fear I might drown in the seat, surrounded by strangers and flooding myself with tears. An air hostess tells me 'He will be there. I will pray for him.' I say 'I know he will be there. I just feel it.' I don't say: don't bother with your prayers. 

Mark is making phone calls as the plane taxis for take-off on the tarmac in LA-we need to arrange for the kids to fly home too. We will be stuck above the clouds for the next 12 hours. What a strange world we are in: life below us with the hours moving on. We are hostages to oceans and datelines and shifting shadows of night and day as the earth turns towards to the sun and we fly west over the sea.


We land in Sydney, and race to get an earlier flight, not knowing that Arfur's journey is already over. We hustle our bags, abandon a trolley to the cries of the staff, and dash onto a connecting bus to grab the first Syd-Melb flight. The bus lurches off towards the domestic terminal, and then my phone rings. As I sit next to a stranger, I hear Charlie say 'um, I've got some bad news. Arfur...didn't make it through the night...He died at 10.15...' Through his sobs I hear myself saying NO! What? I thought he'd be there! I was sure! And the tears are streaming. I see Mark's pained face across the bus and scream to him with my eyes. He comes and shifts into the seat beside me, and I sit on this bus, caught in a capsule full of other bodies and lives as I farewell the idea of my father's.


Sensing the past

Through the blur of the next hours, I sat and wept and sweated and churned. My top was soaked with nervous perspiration, my body tense, my head gripped with a tightening dead hand. There was some comfort to be had in having a shower and food, coffee and grog in the airport lounge.





It was here I put some words together, telling my friends that we hadn't made it home in time: 

Somewhere between here and there, as we raced home to see him, Dad passed across the line. We were airborne. I was dreaming. In the dream, I framed objects in the foreground for a photo, then noticed that Dad's cheeky smiling eye loomed across the picture from the top corner. I awoke mid-flight. This was the time of his passing. I felt rested and calm. Thanks for all the steady care and love over the years to my beautiful father. I know he could hear me when we communicated on the phone from LA airport. He knew we were on our way back to see him. xx

Still, there is a terrible grief in not having made it back. Just to hold his hand. To say good on you, Arfur, well played and thanks. Too early to leave, too late to go on-that's life for you.


Comments

  1. So sorry for your loss Anna. Life can be cruel sometimes, but there are small mercies, and knowing he heard you might help you find a place for the pain of not making it back. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Collette. The hearing was a communion of sorts, I really felt that. So there is a certain peace there. Thanks for your kind words x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. It reads like poetry. Sounds like you and I have opposite lives. I am American, living in Melbourne and I too fear this moment in my life. I've already lost my Grandmother while over here as well as others. It's a difficult trade-off. Love to you and your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Dawn. Being a 24 hour flight away seems like a yawning space when it comes down to the wire. I am still wrestling with this shift in time and place, and trying to comprehend the reality when we landed. It's strange and unsettling. I hope your family stays well for a long time, and you get to share many more experiences with them x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st