Skip to main content

Sound the Siren! Junior Footy's Back.

As the desolation of the Collingwood Grand final loss washed over us at the MCG last year, along with the river of beers and tears, my daughter said to me, ‘Mum, I can’t WAIT til next footy season. I mean MY footy season. I can’t wait to play footy again!’

'Footy’s back!' A few weeks ago, this phrase caused some consternation, with AFLW supporters pointing out that footy had been back for quite a while, actually. But I’m throwing it back out there: it’s the start of the junior footy season for many young players this month. Across town, parents are signing up for orange duty and players are cleaning off, buying or finding their boots, whether it’s for practice matches or round one of the season.

Last year, our daughter began playing footy with the local Under 14s team. After her first game, in which she marked in front of goals and kicked truly, she came off the field, saying, ‘That was the best fun ever! I can’t wait for next week!’ 


Season 2018, pic (c) Lyndal Williams.

I loved playing footy as I grew up. As the only girl in the neighbourhood, I loved the tackling, the hustle for the mark and the challenge of the unpredictable bounce. We played in a pack in the park next to our house, just a rag-tag bunch of kids, rather than a proper team. There were no places other than that for a girl to play in those days; well not that I knew of.

As for the notion of a girl playing football, my mother said to me recently ‘Oh, I don’t think you’d have been any good as a footballer, Anna. You’d have been hopeless.’ The words hit me like a gut punch. Really? Good or not, I would have loved to try. 

These days, female football has grown to 26 per cent of all participation, ‘with 127,115 women and girls pulling on the jumper in season 2018’, according to AFL statistics. Apparently there are now ‘1,000 dedicated female club teams across Victoria’. 

On my way to the first ever AFLW game at Ikon Park in 2017, as fans streamed through the streets of Carlton, a memory startled me: my first school detention had been for kicking a football on the oval when I was in Year 7. I was told it was 'unladylike.' I wonder what Tayla Harris, Carlton’s gun kick, would say to that? Or Erin Phillips, this year's AFLW best and fairest?

The lock-out crowd at Ikon Park that night seemed to cheer every goal as a celebration. Never mind that my team lost. We were all side by side that night, the crowd of fans and the players caught up in the possibilities, the peripheral nature of women’s sport coming to centre stage.

Last year we had two grand finals in our orbit. Collingwood lost the big one in the last couple of minutes, but our family still scored a 2018 footy club premiership–it was the first ever girls’ premiership win for my daughter’s junior football club, St Kilda City. While it's not the highest level of footy competition in the land, it was a premiership win, and some history, setting down a story for the future. 

This weekend’s practice games are extra special for us: our boy, injured in the last game of his U12 season back in 2014, is taking to the field again in the game that he loves. Four and a half years has been a long road back, but there’s a path there for him again, just as there is now a path for his sister. 


Update: an injury at footy training meant our son was not able to play the first practice match this weekend.

Published in Footy Almanac, 8 April 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st