Skip to main content

Let it Out!

Around a campfire many years ago, our mates asked each other “what is something you’d really like to do in your life?” Some said making a film, others said climbing a mountain and one said they wanted to write a book. My partner delivered this clanger: “I’d like to come up with a fair tax system.” (In retrospect, good on him!) I was quiet, then confessed, “I’d like to sing on stage.”

A few months ago, the reality of our tenuous hold on life hit me and churned me back out into the world with a new sense of hunger for creativity and connection. It had been a routine test, leading to hospital time and treatment, and I emerged from the shock of it wanting to grasp life, claim my space and find my voice. 

When I was offered a place in Melbourne Indie Voices Choir for term 3, I waited all of three seconds before signing up. I had been on their waitlist for a while. Work, study and family had got in the way. Maybe other things had got in the way too; some things I hadn’t recognised. A sense of being trapped, perhaps; of being passive rather than active.

Recent research from the University of Oxford discusses “how group singing can improve physical and mental health, as well as promote social bonding.” In a paper for the Royal Society, researchers state that singing fast-tracks connections between people, acting as an accelerated ice-breaker. And Creativity Australia, a group running community choirs, cites studies of the neuroscience of music and singing claiming that ‘it makes us happier, healthier, smarter and more creative.’ 


Sophia Exiner has run Melbourne Indie Voices for over three years, and now has over 250 singers attending rehearsal sessions across three nights in studios in Collingwood and Fitzroy. Building community is a big part of her drive. “We've tried to build a community with the choir. People lead such busy lives, and choir offers a unique space for connection and also a chance to let go,” she says.

  Tuesday night Melbourne Indie Voices choir at Schoolhouse Studios. Image used with permission Sophia Exiner.

Before I headed off to my first Melbourne Indie Voices session, I watched a video of Jen Cloher bashing out her song ‘Strong Woman’ accompanied by the MIV choir last year. Suddenly I found myself not just singing, but sobbing: “I was born to let it out. I am a strong woman!” I scrawled down the lyrics in a notebook as I heard them: “young lady/Catholic girls school/she could want for more…” 

Towards the end of the song Cloher sings, “I'm sorry, can't you hear me speaking? How is it now, now that I'm screaming?” Oh, I could hear her. And yes, I would be scream-singing. 

On that first night of choir, we launched into a sublime rendition of a Fleet Foxes song, ‘White Winter Hymnal’, and I felt like I had found another campfire. “I was following the pack, all swallowed in their coats…” we sang, and there we were, all huddled under gas heaters in the Collingwood warehouse, singing away, as happy as strawberries in the summertime. I drove home with the song blaring at an unsafe level, singing over and over again, finding the rhythm, testing the notes, doubting my pitch, but singing anyway. I was definitely planning to follow this pack.

Melbourne Indie Voices collaborators, Josh Teicher and Sophia Exiner

How is it that Exiner chooses her songs, I ask her after a few weeks of rehearsals. “I focus on Australian songwriters that are predominantly women,” says Exiner, “and I’m drawn to songs with a message, rather than typical love songs.” The main thing for Exiner is “that the song is really fun to sing and belt out; musically uplifting, anthemic and often left of centre - not what you’d expect a choir to sing.” 

Over the months, we have moved from wearing coats and beanies and scarves, and now find ourselves heading into Spring and the last few weeks of rehearsals before two full scale performances at The Forum. The first show sold out so fast, Exiner has added another one. 

The shows will bring all three choirs onto the stage, and not only promises secret guest performers, but audience singalongs. The audience gets to join our pack! That’s some impressive community building. 

So, I’ll keep rehearsing, learning new songs and refining others, thrilled to know that I get to “Let it out!” and sing on stage. Who knows, maybe one day in the future, I’ll be brave enough to sing a solo. Maybe after we’ve created a fair tax system. Ah, the dreams we talk of around a campfire. And the joys of finding my voice in a community of indie singers.





Comments

  1. We’ve got a drop in chorus here in Portland Oregon as well! The Low Bar Chorale -w full band made of nationally known musicians fr bands like Brandi Carlile and Blind Pilot. Since the pandemic, we’ve started O Solo Low Bar-Facebook Page live stream every Tuesday night at 7 pm. It’s fantastic singing Lady Gaga and Toto when the world is going to... well, not the good place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'd love Portland, Oregon. That sounds so cool. Love that you have full live band. Maybe I will try to tune into the Facebook livestream, if it's open to others? 7pm there is like 9/10am here, which works! Let's hope the world swerves away from the 'not good place' very soon. Thinking of you all over there. Thanks for reading and commenting. (I have a soft spot for this piece.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st