Skip to main content

Shine a Light

On a recent sunny Sunday, I walk through the park on my way to get Nan’s lamp fixed. Families are having picnics on the grass. ‘Can we fix it? Can we fix it? Can we fix it?’ drums in my head as I crunch across the gravel towards the Repair Cafe, a little hub where volunteers work their magic on broken stuff. 

In my bag, I’ve got a lamp that’s dodgy and a globe that works. My fear in bringing the lamp for repair is that when they plug it in, it will blow the powerboard up. My nerves sizzle. The world seems to be short-circuiting.

Repair Cafe volunteers help repair things, from toasters, to cushion zips to stereos. They keep rubbish out of landfill; save consumers from buying new products; and cross-pollinate a community of people who tinker, rebuild, deconstruct and recreate objects.  Around the world, there are over 1500 Repair Cafe centres, working towards reducing waste, sharing knowledge, repairing items and fostering communities. The first cafe started in 2009, and The Repair Cafe Foundation now offers help to those wishing to start their own hub. 

At the front desk sit the triage team, three women at a trestle table. 

‘You just made it!’ they say. It’s 4pm.

‘Oh I thought it went til 5?’ 

‘Yeah, well, we have to fit you in! We wanna be out of here by 5! What is it? Oh, a lamp. Weight? 200 grams? Nah...350? We’ll say 300 grams.’ 

So far, this little Repair Cafe in St Kilda has saved over a tonne of items from landfill. 

I soon find myself opposite a repairer who sets to work on the little Blackwood lamp. The table is set up with all sorts of tools, special bits and pieces, screwdrivers, nuts and bolts and a twisty metal clamp hand. Someone offers a cake around. 




He checks the cord, pulls the clicker, tests it out–it doesn’t work. Gets out the tools, pulls the socket apart and behold, we are within the Bakelite! A number of springs shoot forth and disconnect themselves from their bearings. He goes into his own world; he doesn’t speak as he tinkers. He’s poking around with his fingers and I’m not sure he can put it back together again. What’s at stake if the light doesn’t shine? 

Nan gave her grandson (my partner) this lamp, as she knew he liked to read. It feels like she is hovering nearby, wanting to connect beyond this room; to see the light turn back on, instead of hearing the fizz and crackle of the wires burning out. 

A repair colleague comes across. ‘What we got here?’ He offers to help, and uses a tiny screwdriver to hold the spring in place; they manage to clamp the Bakelite back together. Then we put the globe in and turn it on–it still doesn't work, but at least it hasn’t blown up!

The repairer opens up the plug and finds a disconnected piece of copper wire. He asks me to hold his special testing tool to see if there’s electricity going from one part to the other. I’m holding it gingerly, unsure, trying not to electrocute myself.




‘Do you find it stressful to do repair work?’ I ask, though the low hum of uncertainty seems to be coming from me. He says he works in such a different field during the week that he finds it really nice to work with his hands. I’m holding the little clamp fast on the metal with mild fear. ‘It’s like a dentist with all their tools; like intricate dental work,’ I say, trying to calm my nerves.

He uses a tool to twist the burnished copper, and the testing machine registers. He forces the old rubber back over the plug head. The globe flares. Nan’s lamp now works. ‘If you don’t want to hang onto it, I’ll take it. It’s a beautiful piece of Blackwood,’ he says.

‘It’s from Nan,’ I remind him. ‘We can’t let it go.’

I thank my volunteer repairer, and go to shake his hand. But we can’t do that any more; we do the elbow bump to recognise the fact that we are in pandemic land and that it’s fast going to be upon us. One sizzling wire frying another; one bundle of elements colliding with another; one life bumping into another, not quite knowing the meaning of our connections. 

I walk back home through the gardens. The family groups have cleared off now. The currawongs sweep and call above the highest part of the trees, ducks parade near the pond and the pigeons cross the gravel paths. The little lamp got fixed. Now seems like a good time to be reading books. Nan’s light shines on.

First published in The Big Issue, Edition #165, June/July, 2020.
Editions of the magazine are available for online purchase via Issuu.

Read more about the aims and purpose of The Big Issue here: "We are an independent, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and creating work opportunities for people experiencing homelessness, marginalisation and disadvantage. Simply put, we help people help themselves." 

(c) Anna Sublet, 2020

My piece on my first visit to the Repair Cafe
, published in The Guardian, 7 January, 2018.

To see more photos of items fixed at St Kilda Repair Cafe, see Fixed!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st