Skip to main content

Penpals, write! From #Penpalooza to #Postcrossing and beyond.

I’m gazing into a postcard of the mountains of Massachusetts, a bookmark with an Emily Dickinson quote in my other hand: ‘It’s all I have to bring today…’ the quote says. But there’s more. Before me are four pages of a handwritten letter, from a stranger in Birmingham, Alabama. For privacy reasons, I won’t be sharing what my new penpal told me of her life, but I know I urgently need to write back to her.

Letter writing has become a way for people to connect during lockdown. Penpaloooza was started by New Yorker writer and editor, Rachel Syme, with an Instagram call-out that has grown from an initial 100 participants, to more than 4000 people, writing letters, collecting stamps, sourcing small gifts and sharing words. There are writers in more than 30 countries, and people post their treasures at the hashtag #Penpalooza. 

When my first piece of mail arrived, the excitement I felt was beyond reason. The pure thrill of a package, holding pieces of a person–a bookmark, a sticker and words–was quite simply intoxicating. Across a two month period, this connection had taken shape and taken flight across the globe. From my letter sent from the southern coast in August, to its receipt in the USA in September, and the return missive arriving here in October, we have reached hands, hearts and pens across the globe. 

My first Penpalooza post, to Birmingham, Alabama.

Howdy from Washington, DC.

Map travels in my mind

Part of the thrill is hope. A hope for connection and a vote for our postal services, especially at this time while both Australia Post and the US Postal Service are bearing the heavy load of lockdown, and in the USA, the pressures of an election. Will the letter make it? Will our words be read? So much invested in such an initial unknown. As Penpalooza founder Syme says in 'Finding Pen Pals in a Pandemic': ‘Even under the best of circumstances, there’s a delay, a period where the letter is an object of hope, in transit between the present and the future.’ 

As I read the letter, I scurry to grab the old atlas. In it, the country is shown by population density, a fact which seems to take on even more pertinent meaning in this period of pandemic. How close are we? How many of us might get the virus? And how connected can we be when we are made to stay apart?

The letters don’t just contain the words; people have begun sending illustrations, postcards and vintage stamps. The envelopes are decorated with washi tape, notes written on pages cut from picture books and cards made from an atlas. One artist has created a Penpalooza sticker. I’ve just ordered some, along with a collection of old Australian bird and sea creature stamps to send to distant penpals.

Many of those participating note on Twitter that they could never have imagined spending nights with stamp sets, stationery and coloured pencils.  

 Neither could I, but I now have a box filled with assorted paper, stickers, stamps and cutouts.

What is it about the letter? Having found Penpalooza, I soon discovered a number of other letter writing groups, and couldn’t stop myself from signing up. Author Jon McGregor started a letter writing project for his students, The Letters Page, which has continued to flood him with mail. In a BBC article, he says "I think people are looking back to letters and letter writing as a general reawakening of things which are hand-made or unique in some way and have a personal touch."’ 

The Handwritten Letter Appreciation Society are just celebrating their third birthday. Some of the aspects within their manifesto are: 

 “We pledge to keep handwritten letters alive by encouraging people to carry on writing them. We see a person’s handwriting as a thing of beauty. Along with handwriting we feel all stationery and the Postal Service are wondrous things and something to be used regularly.”

There’s also Postcrossing, where I have signed up for random postcards. Started in 2005 by Paulo Magalhães, “Postcrossing’s goal is to connect people across the world through postcards,” the site says. Each user has an ID and each postcard is registered; people upload pictures of postcards when they are sent and received.

My first Postcrossing card, sent to MA, USA

I take my writing stuff to the St Kilda Botanic Gardens, and write to my penpal with my back resting against the bark of a tree. There are people in lockdown Melbourne gathered in circles, rugs pulled in on the grass. The ants begin to crawl into my hair as a dog in front of me plays with a massive ball of ice as big as his head. I write to my penpal of these things. Does she feel the scrape of my tree trunk, if I ask her to imagine it? Does she see the dog? Does her head itch from the ants?

In my return mail to Alabama I send a copy of an 1853 map of the Southern coast, a postcard of a beach and an origami heart made by my daughter. These pieces tell of a sunken wreck, my connection to the ocean and the stories embedded in another cycle of life. I’m adding some layers to the topography, with the hope my penpal sees my landscape; our landscape.

Coast, 1853, Point Lonsdale, Victoria.

Recently, the Letterbox Project was launched by Connected Australia, a letter exchange project to counter isolation and loneliness by matching volunteer writers with residents in aged care and disability homes. There are already 6000 people wanting to share stories, connecting at a time when we are forced to keep our distance. The response was so overwhelming, I'm still waiting to be matched up after registering weeks ago. For now, I'll keep writing to my few new penpals, holding onto hope.

Sent this origami heart to Birmingham, AL, USA.

Wax seal from Mexico

Sending old stamps of birds and sea creatures

Wombats head to Washington

This piece was first published in The Guardian, Wednesday November 4, 2020

Read more about Penpalooza, including some quotes and images from me, in this piece by David Blank online at CNN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st